When your dishwasher dies, you quickly realize the value of this time-saving appliance. According to Energy Star, using a dishwasher can save you around 230 hours per year, compared to hand washing and drying. Like most home appliances, dishwashers are becoming more efficient and smarter with each new launch, and big brands are now even introducing WiFi connectivity and other smart home technology.
Before you head out to buy your shiny new unit with all the bells and whistles, read this dishwasher buying guide to learn everything you need to know about your next dishwasher.
The first step to finding the best dishwashers that can meet your needs is making sure you understand all your options. Dishwashers can be expensive, but there’s an option out there for every budget, and you definitely want to get the best value dishwasher for your money.
When shopping for a new model, you want to first consider the size and type of dishwasher that’ll fit in your kitchen. Next, look at the best cleaning dishwasher and drying performance to ensure it can meet the demands of you or your family. You also might want to consider dishwasher noise levels along with different cycles and options.
Determining what is the quietest dishwasher will be important. For some, a smart dishwasher, which gives you updates via Wi-Fi connectivity, is an important feature. When asking what to look for in a dishwasher you’ll probably want to know the reliability of the brand, based on dishwasher reviews, but don’t forget that finish and colour are also important to fit with your kitchen’s décor.
Ready to get started? View our huge selection of dishwashers now!
- How Do Dishwashers Work?
- Types and Styles of Dishwashers
- How to Measure a Dishwasher
- What Finishes and Colours do Dishwashers Come In?
- Dishwasher Features
- What are the Best Dishwasher Brands?
- Dishwasher FAQs
How Do Dishwashers Work?
Learning how a dishwasher works will make selecting your model easier. A dishwasher is basically just a robot that adds water and heats it to the appropriate temperature to clean and sanitize, opens the detergent dispenser at the correct time, shoots water through the spraying nozzles to clean the dishes, and drains the dirty water. The unit then sprays additional water to rinse dishes and items, re-drains, and finally, if selected by the user, heats the internal air at the end of the cycle to dry the dishes.
Types and Styles of Dishwashers
Depending on the amount of space in your kitchen, manufacturers offer various units that fit different dimensional requirements and budgets. Several styles and types of dishwashers will fit your kitchen layout, including:
Built-in dishwashers are the most recognizable and popular option since they can be placed under the counter. This allows them to be the quietest choice since they’re surrounded by cabinetry. They’re also convenient to load, since they often sit near where food is prepared. Built-in dishwashers also include integrated models, which are completely hidden in your kitchen once installed, so they have a uniform look to the rest of your kitchen décor.
Compact dishwashers are significantly smaller and less expensive than traditional units. This dishwasher type typically has a low capacity but is easy to use. These models may be best for an individual or small family without a lot of kitchen space, or for those who might not cook a lot.
Freestanding dishwashers are stand-alone units that can be placed anywhere with water and drainage access. If you don’t have dedicated kitchen space for a dishwasher then the portable style can be a smart choice.
How to Measure a Dishwashers Sizes
Manufacturers produce a standard dishwasher size depending on the type and style. Therefore, when looking at different models, you need to measure the unit to ensure it fits into your kitchen.
Steps to Measure a Dishwasher
There are four steps to take to get accurate dishwasher measurements:
- Measure height: With a tape measure, measure from bottom to top.
- Measure width: Measure from left to right across the front of the appliance.
- Measure the depth: Stretch from the front of the dishwasher horizontally to the back to get the depth measurement.
- Double check your measurements: Remeasure the height, width, and dishwasher depth to ensure dimensional accuracy.
What Finishes and Colours Do Dishwashers Come In?
Available finishes and colours depend on the manufacturer. You may want to review the different colours and finishes to match them with other appliances, countertops, and paint colours.
- Panel-Ready Dishwashers: Panel-ready dishwashers have an unfinished exterior for you to fit the finish that looks like a cabinet to integrate perfectly with your cabinetry colour.
- Stainless Dishwashers: Stainless steel dishwashers are the most popular option on the market. The brushed silver colour fits with most décor and the materials are robust and durable. You can find sleek stainless steel dishwashers and black stainless dishwashers in the finish.
- Black Dishwashers: Black dishwashers are available in matte black and black stainless finishes and are also an excellent choice to fit with most kitchen designs and decor.
- White Dishwashers: Although today white is a less popular option, if you have a white kitchen, this colour will fit perfectly.
To find the appliance that’s right for your kitchen, check out these dishwashers!
Dishwashers have come a long way since the original units. The best modern dishwasher features include the following:
- Energy Star Qualified: An Energy Star Qualified unit meets a certain threshold for energy savings, which keeps your monthly utility bill lower than an unqualified unit.
- Adjustable Racks: Adjustable racks are critical for playing dishwasher Tetris to maximize the number of dishes being washed.
- Wifi Connectivity: A newer feature of modern dishwashers is Wi-Fi connectivity which notifies you once the wash and dry cycles are complete.
- Display: Modern displays feature touchscreen functionality and provide you with updated information on the entire dishwashing process.
- Leak Protection System: Leak protection systems utilize airtight, leak-proof materials and have backup sensors that can stop the washing process if a leak is detected while notifying you of the issue.
What are the Best Dishwasher Brands?
With so many dishwasher brands on the market and so many different considerations for purchasing a new model, you need to know who makes the best dishwasher. There are countless customer dishwasher ratings on the Internet, but each customer has their own requirements. Below are some of the best and most reliable dishwashers and popular brands including Bosch, KitchenAid, Fisher & Paykel, and Blomberg.
Finding the best budget dishwasher or unit that meets the needs of you and your family, while fitting with your kitchen décor is not an easy task. There are numerous brands and models with a variety of features that you may or may not use. By following this dishwasher guide, you now should have better insight into the various aspects of dishwashers, so you can make an informed decision.
Bosch dishwashers have been a top-picked brand for over a decade. Known for their ability to clean the most difficult stuck-on food stains, they’re both roomy inside and quiet. Bosch dishwashers have a powerful dish cleaning ability and tons of new advanced features like intelligent sensors and PrecisionWash™ technology.
- Bosch Dishwashers BUDGET Pick: SHEM3AY55N
- Bosch Dishwashers Mid-Range Pick: SHEM63W55N
- Bosch Dishwashers High-End Pick: SHPM98W75N
KitchenAid has a trusted reputation in the kitchen, and their dishwashers do not disappoint. Get your dishes as clean as possible with your new KitchenAid built-in dishwasher. With tons of optional features and perks, the KitchenAid dishwasher offers a quick, clean cycle and smart tech features that you’re guaranteed to love.
- KitchenAid Dishwashers Budget Pick: KDFE104KPS
- KitchenAid Dishwashers Mid-Range Pick: KDTE204KPS
- KitchenAid Dishwashers High-End Pick: KDTM404KPS
Fisher & Paykel
Fisher & Paykel dishwashers are incredibly efficient, quiet and easily configurable to fit whatever your space constraints are. The brand offers unique options like a double dishdrawer that allows you to wash one drawer independently while you’re still loading the other. Get the latest in technological advances with your new Fisher & Paykel dishwasher.
- Fisher & Paykel Dishwashers Mid-Range Pick: DD24DCTX9
- Fisher & Paykel Dishwashers High-End Pick: DD24DCTX9 N
Blomberg dishwashers are the perfect accent to your kitchen. Their flexible loading design and generous size make them highly sought-after appliances. Even entry-level Blomberg appliances offer incredible value with great cleaning performance. They have a sleek and stylish look and give an optimal performance, which means you can’t go wrong with a Blumberg.
If you want to know where to buy a dishwasher and find the best style and price to meet your needs, browse our wide selection of models today!
How can you improve dishwasher cleaning performance?
When used properly, dishwashers can clean and sanitize dishes better than ever. To maximize cleaning performance always use the right detergent type for your unit, fill up the rinse aid reservoir, don’t rinse dishes before loading, run the hot water in your sink first, and regularly clean your empty dishwasher according to your manual recommendation.
How can you improve dishwasher drying performance?
To improve drying performance, always use rinse aid, add as many dishes as possible while adding space between dishes, and use the heat feature. Also, open the dishwasher door a few inches immediately after the cycle has ended, and empty the bottom rack first.
Can you run a dishwasher every day?
No rule exists that says you can’t run your dishwasher every day. However, you should wait until the dishwasher is full to run it to avoid wasting water and electricity, both of which will hit your monthly utility bill.
How long should a dishwasher last?
According to the best dishwasher brands reviews, a dishwasher should last around a decade. The longevity of the unit is one factor to consider when determining how to choose a dishwasher.
How much do dishwashers cost?
The price range varies based on the dishwasher size, dishwasher dimensions, quality of the brand, and which features are your must-haves. The average dishwasher cost is around $970, but they can cost as little as $250 to up to $3,500 or more.
The information on this article is not a promise of service. While we present the most accurate information we can, customers must check each brand and model for the manufacturers' information. Each model has their individual care and maintenance guidelines, normal expected use and lifespan with proper maintenance and care. Customers are responsible for checking information for their appliance, the user manual, manufacturer guidelines as well as using professional services.